Sunday 23 November 2008

A Matter Of Fashion

Workers are building and digging in front of our house, there are setting a new water canal system. Their working from 8 am till 5 pm, their machines are always buzzing, it's really annoying that it's so loud all the time.

Since it is too noisy to stay at our house I decided to flee, so I headed to my cupboard to get dressed to go shopping. And I faced the same problem that probably girls all over the world are facing "What shall I wear today?" It's frustrating and pretty much annoying. So I just short cut the whole process and wore an "Abaya". It’s the black dress that most people know because they saw it on TV. Most people think this is all that Arab girls and woman wear or must wear. Well it's not what we must wear according to our religion, our religion asks us to wear decent covering clothes. It's more of a tradition to wear the Abaya. It is true that some families want their daughters to wear it, but oppression is not behind it, it's because it's common and that people accept it. I would put it like this, right now skinny jeans are fashion and people wear what's fashionable to blend in or to be accepted and the truth is in Arabic countries Abayas right now are very much in fashion. In the Arabic countries there are designers that are specialized in designing beautiful Abayas. Girls right now wear Abyas with lots of glitter and decoration, some are very pretty and you can have them made according to your taste. Plus, in Islamic societies where woman shouldn't attract attention in public because of what they are wearing or what they are not wearing, but they ought to get people's attention for what they are.

I am speaking about myself; my parents give me the freedom of wearing what I like as long as it's decent. I wear jeans and a shirt that is a bit longer and I'm lucky that those shirts are right now in fashion even in the European countries, but Abayas are really practical. You never need to think about putting together an outfit and the best thing that I really enjoy is that I can wear under it anything I want, so I always end up going with my oldest most comfortable pajamas to a really fancy mall.











These are some pictures of the Abayas that are fashionable here.

Once again I'd like to share with you something I read today and I really liked. "Staring at the stars is like staring backward in time, since some stars are so far away that their light takes a millions of years to reach us. That we see the stars not as they look now, but as they were when dinosaurs roomed the earth. The whole concept struck me as amazing somehow." This info struck me also so amazing; I just love the thought of it.

1 comment:

Beate Knappe said...

Hallo, ich begrüße dich herzlich in der Blogerwelt und habe gleich von meinem Blog auf deinen verlinkt, weil ich es mit Begeisterung gelesen habe was Du schreibst.